Rochester Dog Bite Injury Attorneys
Holding Negligent Dog Owners Liable for Dog Attacks
There is a saying that there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. At Faraci Lange, LLP, we would like to believe this is true because dogs are such sweet and loyal companions. However, when a dog bites someone, possibly due to being raised poorly, financial compensation should be owed to the victim all the same.
From our offices in Rochester and Buffalo, our dog bite lawyers can provide ample and responsive legal representation after you have been attacked by someone’s dog. We can handle all aspects of your claim, so you do not need to stress about a thing.
New York’s “Mixed Liability” Dog Bite Rules
Like many other states, New York uses a “one-bite rule” in dog bite cases. Under this legal statute, a dog owner cannot be held liable for many forms of damages if their dog bites someone but has never bitten anyone before and that dog has never shown outward signs of aggression before. In other words, if the dog owner had good reason to think that their dog was friendly, then they will be excused from paying compensation to the injured party – but only in most cases.
New York is also technically a “strict liability” state for dog bites when considering medical bills. The owner of a dog can be held liable for the victim’s medical bills, even if the incident was the first time their dog bit someone or acted violently.
If the dog owner can be held liable for all your damages, you might be able to file a claim for:
- Medical bills: A severe dog bite can damage nerves, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. It can even crack bones. Medical care and hospitalization after a dog attack can be extensive and expensive.
- Lost wages: While you are unable to work due to your dog bite injuries, your wages will be “lost” or unearned. You can demand those missing wages from the dog owner, so it is like you never missed a shift.
- PTSD: Dog bite victims are often traumatized by the attack and become extremely fearful of dogs of all breeds. Noneconomic damage can be rewarded in your claim to acknowledge the hardships your PTSD has caused you.
Dog Bite Claim FAQ
Here are a few frequently asked questions about dog bite claims you might have wondered:
- How much money do you get from a dog bite lawsuit? There is no sure way to know how much compensation you can receive through a dog bite claim. Various factors will change the total value of your claim as well as your chances of securing every penny of owed money. You should beware of any law firm that promises to win a claim or lawsuit for you because this is a promise that no legal professional can keep.
- How long does it take to settle a dog bite lawsuit? Like the value of a lawsuit, the timeline of a dog bite injury claim or lawsuit is also incredibly difficult to predict. The willingness of the dog owner to accept liability will be a major deciding factor for how long your case will take to conclude. If they accept liability and agree to a settlement, it can still take several months to see a dollar. If not, and you have to go to trial eventually, it could take a year or two.
- Should I see a doctor after a dog bite? Yes, be certain to see a doctor as soon as possible after you are attacked by a dog. You need to see a medical professional to check out the extent of your injuries. A check-up also firmly establishes when the attack happened and how soon you sought to treat your injuries, which is important when deciding liability.
- Can a dog bite victim be liable? Claimants will have a difficult time seeking compensation from a dog owner if they were behaving in a way that might justify the dog’s actions. For example, people who were trespassing, attacking someone else, or inciting the dog before being bitten can be found mostly liable for their own injuries.
Ready to Start Your Dog Bite Claim?
Faraci Lange, LLC and our Rochester dog bite injury attorneys are standing by to help you explore your legal options after being attacked by someone else’s dog. You could be owed thousands of dollars in compensation based on the severity of your injuries, but you would never know unless you take legal action. Please call us at (888) 997-4110 to start your claim today!
“Every person we encountered at Faraci Lange was supportive and worked diligently to settle our case with the very best results possible.”- Former Client
“When my frustrations with the process were heightened, my representative calmly explained how this type of litigation usually proceeds.”- Phil N.