Buffalo Medication Error Attorneys
Can You Sue for a Medication Error?
You are fully dependent on our medical provider to give you the right medication with the right dosage instructions. If something goes wrong and you are hurt due to a prescription medication, then you might be able to hold your medical provider financially accountable for your medical costs, lost wages, pain, and suffering. To explore your legal options, call (888) 997-4110 and connect with Faraci Lange, LLP in Buffalo. Our medication error lawyers in Buffalo would be happy to review your case for free and let you know what you should be doing next.
What are the Most Common Medication Errors?
Four of the most common mistakes that cause medication errors are:
- Wrong medication: Every medication is designed to treat or alleviate the symptoms of one malady or another. No matter how useful and safe a medication is under normal circumstances, it can become dangerous if it is taken by someone who does not need its benefits.
- Wrong dosage: The right medication in the wrong dosage can also be problematic. Every medicine needs to be taken in a specific dosage amount for it to affect the user as expected. Dosage mistakes can include taking too much or too little or taking dosages at incorrect intervals.
- Wrong patient: Hospitals and pharmacies are busy places that help hundreds or thousands of patients a day. Patient record mix-ups should never happen, but they do. Some medication errors happen because a patient is given the entirely incorrect medication that was meant for someone else.
- Medication reactions: Taking more than one prescription medication at a time will always have a risk of complications or reactions. Doctors need to fully review a patient’s medical history before prescribing a new medication to ensure that there will be no medication reactions that could prove dangerous.
What Does a Medication Error Do?
Medication errors can result in any number of largely unpredictable consequences for the patient. The unpredictability is rooted in the fact that everyone reacts to medications uniquely and that medications can have different effects when taken incorrectly.
A medication error can cause the following health consequences and more:
- Worsening of preexisting illnesses
- New illnesses or injuries
- Exaggerated side effects
- Life-threatening complications
Who is Responsible for Medication Errors?
There could be one or more parties who are responsible for the medication error that has harmed your health. It depends on what happened and why. Our medication error attorneys in Buffalo can investigate your claim to determine liability.
Parties that can be liable for a medication error and the injuries it causes are:
- Doctors who prescribe the wrong medication to a patient.
- Pharmacists who give the wrong medication to a patient.
- Drug companies that create and sell unsafe medications.
How Can Medication Errors Be Prevented?
The most frustrating thing about medication errors is that the vast majority of them should be entirely preventable. All it takes to stop a medication error is for medical professionals to be attentive when helping a patient. Doctors should be mindful when prescribing a new prescription, and pharmacists should double-check their work when filling orders.
As a patient who is taking a prescription medication, it is unreasonable to expect you to prevent a medication error. Even after you notice that you might be having an adverse reaction to a prescription, you have to depend on your medical provider to tell you to stop taking it. With this in mind, it is not reasonable to ever blame the user or patient for the harm caused by a medication error.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Figuring out what to do after being hurt by medical malpractice can be simple: just leave everything up to Faraci Lange, LLP in Buffalo. Our Buffalo medication error lawyers are standing by to hear from new clients in need. It is our passion to stand up for the wrongfully injured and seek maximum compensation in their names.
“Every person we encountered at Faraci Lange was supportive and worked diligently to settle our case with the very best results possible.”- Former Client
“I can’t thank them enough for their hard work and diligence in resolving my case favorably.”- Phil N.
“I would most definitely recommend this firm to anyone in need of a top personal injury lawyer.”- Michael M.
“A tragedy is difficult, but with such wonderful, caring people guiding us, the horrible time in our lives was made a little easier to deal with.”- Lisa P.
“They were never too busy to speak with me and address my issues.”- Ronald W.